Friday, April 30, 2021

Jake's Brood X Cicada


Jake’s Brood X Cicada:

The Brood X Cicada is a 17-year fly angler’s dream. Every 17 years these noisy protein packed meals crawl out of the ground and make a mess for the real world, but for a trout, smallmouth, or carp, it is an endless buffet. Fish all sizes lose their minds for about 2 months, eating every one that hits the water until they can’t fit any more in their bellies. I’m convinced that they have the same internal conversation humans do when we are reaching that moment of total discomfort from eating but can’t stop. “Should I eat this last bite and feel like crap for a while, or do I just stop while I’m ahead?” I don’t know about you, but I always fall for that and take the last bite. These Cicadas pop up around the country in different locations yearly, but without tracking them and doing a little traveling, they only come around locally every 17 years and this year the Cumberland Valley is in the bullseye. 

When I found out it was our year, I sat down and trolled the internet looking for cool patterns to tie, even purchased a few from other tiers, but I still wanted to tie a couple of my own design. After about 6 semi decent attempts I landed on this design as my favorite and I wanted to share it with everyone. I don’t have a fancy name for it yet so we I just kept it basic and to the point. 

Enjoy the video and get tying they will be here before we know it. 

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the upcoming months, the fishing scene might slow down, particularly on the lake. Fortunately, I'm spared from the frigid conditions of the Northeast or the challenges out West. Kudos to those braving the elements for a fly-fishing adventure. For me, 30 degrees is considered super cold. I'll be making occasional visits to the tailrace to catch some rainbows and stay updated on fly fishing news online. Meanwhile, I'm captivated by the journey of Torin and Paige Rouse, a couple walking across all fifty states in loops over two and a half years. Currently in Alabama, their adventures offer a unique perspective on America's diverse landscapes. Follow their journey at Walking America Couple – it's an inspiring way to connect with the spirit of exploration Visit Here

    ReplyDelete
  2. The anticipation and excitement for the Brood X Cicada emergence are palpable in your post! It's fascinating to think about how this natural event turns into a fly angler's dream, creating a feeding frenzy for trout, smallmouth, and carp. Your analogy of fish having the same internal debate as humans when faced with a tempting last bite is both amusing and relatable. The effort you've put into tying your own cicada pattern adds a personal touch to the experience. Thanks for sharing your journey and the simplicity of your design – sometimes, the basics are all you need. Happy fishing during this cicada bonanza in the Cumberland Valley. Visit My Website

    ReplyDelete