Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Oak Orchard & Salmon River




I left on Tuesday morning headed to New York for a week of "big game" fishing. Well kinda, I was headed to Oak Orchard with a few friends including TCO's mail man Steve Nelson. Steve and I have fished many times before; one of which was why I was headed to the Oak. Last October he invited me to a fundraising fly fishing tournament put on by the St. Marys Archery Club it was a blast; great food, free beer, and a lot of big fish.

This year was no different; Steve and I both with Atlantic Salmon, Steve and Steve both also placed for browns. Each day hot coffee and fresh home cooked breakfast awaited us around 5:30 am, after a great meal we turned our headlamps on; with full stomachs we went off looking for our spot on the river. Lunch was served every day but I found myself skipping that to continue chasing the shadows that pasted in the deep. When dinner rolled around we were all reluctant to put the rods down and head in, but with the smell of steaks cooking it was a hard bargain. Being have been there before and knowing what was for dinner I was the first one out of the river and in line for their famous fish fry! It was amazing.




Steve with a nice Brown




Quinn with a hefty King



12lbs of pure beauty 

1st place fish 


After a night of drinking and celebrating I was off Saturday morning to visit my sister just north of Pulaski. It should be no surprise that I was out the door Monday morning at first light headed for the Salmon River. The report from Joey that morning was more than promising, I was geared up almost before I had the car parked. It wasn't long before I had my first fish on; however that was short lived. If you have ever been steelhead fishing you know exactly what I'm talking about. Well luckily that was not the only one of the day. I managed to get a few to hand throughout the day and lost a couple in between. I fished solo most of the day until Joey finished with his clients. We fished till dark, each hooking a couple but only getting one to hand (I had one to feet) but that doesn't count.

This is what I live for!

Joey with a solid Buck

It was nice to finally hook a couple Steelhead; the bad part is...well we are back in PA :)

1 comment: