Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Smallmouth on my mind!

This past weekend I traveled to Western PA to visit my girlfriend, and go to a Pirates game with her family. Naturally her dad and I decided to hit a smallmouth stream in the morning before going to the game. Before we got rained out and the buzzer went off Jim and I were tight to a few nice smallies. I was trying the Sage One for one more application, this rod is truly the "one" to do it all. I was throwing large mouse patterns and tungsten conehead Zuddlers with ease. I love that rod.




This morning I had the pleasure of rowing Dale Biegel down the Schuylkill River to try our hand at finding some nice fish after the past 2 weeks of high water. The morning started off slow on top with mice, the water was still a bit off color. Switching to subsurface it wasn't long before Dale had his first smallie on! As the morning progressed the fish seemed to be getting bigger and bigger each one more colorful and larger than the one before. I believe we had about 15 or so fish to the boat with a Red Eye or two in the mix as well.






With rain in the near forecast I would recommend getting out soon, the bite was good and should stay good. Also with the heavy rain and talk of a hurricane hitting the east coast in the next few days, be very mindful of the flow swift water can be deadly.

Hot Flies: Olive Zuddler, White Crystal Bugger, Chartreuse/White Clouser, Clouser Crayfish, & Pheasant tail

No comments:

Post a Comment