Tuesday, May 27, 2014

A Day of Days - Little J

I have always said that the Little J is my favorite stream in State College. I have had by butt kicked more times that not, but when its good, there is nothing else like it. 

It was almost 10:00 at night, Lenny and I where having one of those conversations about nothing, while were we both sitting at the vise, tying flies. We were talking about where to fish the next day, the original plan was to trailer the boats up to the West Branch and do a two boat float. Jack, Shane, and I would be in one boat, with Lenny and Austin in the other. That all changed when I got a text from Shane, saying he couldn't go. So a 5:00am call to Jack and the plans changed almost immediately, Jack and I were heading out to state. We fished Spring Creek for about an hour, until it started crawling with anglers. Then we decided to head over the mountain to the Little J, sulphurs were coming off throughout the day, with a healthy population of caddis mixed in. It was a day of days, we nymphed most of the day, until the spinner fall started and it was total mayhem until we couldn't see any more.
 
































3 comments:

  1. Nice work Jake! I am headed out to the Little J next week. I have never fished there before. Would you (or anybody else that reads the blog) be able to tell me where a good spot to try might be? I was hoping to find someplace to park then hike in somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, thank you for continuing to read the blog! We were fishing all around Barree PA, or Rothrock State Park. hiking into the park is an awesome idea, lots of great water, and some even cooler camp sites. check it out on the map

      Delete
  2. Nice fish guys. Hope to make it down around there in the next week or so

    ReplyDelete