Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Good Friends, a Boat, and a River

Sometimes the best fishing trips end with no grip and grins. Rob, Troop, and I had plans to float Sunday, but Rob had husband duties come up, so my best friend of 27 years Dyson came who came up for a surprise party for my fiancee, was able to fill the open seat. We didn't take a rod less than 8wt with us and had our sights on the toothy critters that reside in the Schuylkill. The 10wts flew all day, we tested new flies tied over the winter, drank some beer, told stories, ate lunch, and more. We did just about everything you could on a float, but catch fish. It was one of the most memorable trips of my carrier to have my best friend and Troop brave the cold and high water with me. Just a little proof that its not all about catching fish. Its about the relationships, connections, and stories these trips bring. There are lots of reasons why I fish, one of which is to make a living, but most of all, I just love to fish. I told an old friend of mine once: "When I'm old and sitting in my rocking chair, I want to look out at the horizon and say, yeah that was a good life." Well with great friends, family, and a dream job, I can already say that! While I'm talking about how much I love this sport and my job, I have to thank my fiancee Elizabeth for all her support, if it wasn't for all her patience and understanding, I wouldn't be where I am today. She is a blessing and I have to Thank her for all she has done to help me. Ok back to the fishing, Enjoy the photos from our trip!


NRS Freestone Drifter ready to roll 



Orvis Helios 2 Esox Edition -  Bad Ass stick
Three Full boxes of Roamers - Awesome Predator Fly 
Oh yeah, and for somewhat of a fishing report, Troop and I fished this morning on the Tully. High water, cold temps, and a bit of mud made for a tough morning, but we managed a few fish between the two of us. Big caddis larva, small midges, and San Juan Worms, are what fooled the fish this morning.




1 comment:

  1. I see you have a NRS Freestone. I am a PA fly fisher and I am thinking about this craft for the PA freestones and rivers. How do you like it - Pros and Cons.

    ReplyDelete