Friday, November 15, 2013

Featured Fly - Great Lakes Angry Leech

This is a Guide Simple fly that I came up with the other day. I took one of my favorite Alaska flies, the Starlite Leech, tweaked it a bit and here is what I came up with, The Great Lakes Angry Leech. The original fly was a killer for me in Alaska, and has gotten me a few nice fish on the swing on the Salmon River. One night I was sitting around thinking about how I could make it just a leech and not an egg sucking leech, a spun rabbit head was the answer to that. Then when I sat down to tie it, the 35mm shank idea came up, so here it is.

Materials:
Hook: Fish Shank 35mm
Hook: Daiichi 2553 - Nickel 
Eyes: Lead Eyes - Small or Med.
Tail: Rabbit Zonker - Purple/Black/White
Body: Estaz - Purple 
Collar 1: UV Polar Chenille -  Black 
Collar 2: Rooster Saddle - Black 
Head: Rabbit - Dubbing Loop 

Step 1: Tie on the stinger Hook.


Step 2: Tie on the lead eyes, leaving a small gap between the eyes and eye of the hook.


Step 3: Tie in the rabbit, make the tail length equal to the hook.


Step 4: Tie in the Estaz, move thread forward, leaving room behind the eye for the collars.


Step 5: Wrap estaz forward.


Step 6: Fold the rabbit forward and tie off behind eyes.


Step 7: Tie in the UV polar chenille.


Step 8: Make 2 wraps of polar chenille.


Step 9: Tie in rooster saddle.


Step 10: Make 3 or 4 wraps.


Step 11: Make a dubbing loop with the rabbit.


Step 12: Wrap forward, forming the head. Whip Finish 


Finished Fly:

Great Lakes Angry Leech - Purple
Great Lakes Angry Leech - Black
Great Lakes Angry Leech -White


1 comment: