Monday, March 31, 2014

Featured Fly - Soft Hackle Grannom Caddis

Soft Hackles have never been my expertise, and I do not claim to know much about them. However with the up and coming Grannom hatch, I decided it was time to put one up. I came up with this simple guy two years ago to fish on the little J. It worked well, so per request from a couple readers, here you go. Again I am no expert, but this simple pattern has worked for me. Enjoy

Materials:
Hook: TMC 200R 14-18
Thread: UNI Thread - 6/0 - Olive 
Rib: Ultra Wire - Small - Copper
Body: Peacock Herl - 4 or 5 
Hot Spot: Lazer Dub - Chart.
Hackle: Partridge - Natural 

Step 1: Make a thread base, tying your wire in as you go back. 


Step 2: Tie in 4 strands on peacock herl. I like to break the tips off, this helps to make them all even.


Step 3: Wrap the peacock forward. Leaving about plenty of room for dubbing and collar.


Step 4: Wrap the wire forward. This will help making the fly more durable.


Step 5: Make a small dubbing ball. This will help keep the hackle up.


Step 6: Pick out a hackle feather, separating it to make a tie in point.


Step 7: Tie in the hackle, cutting the tip off.


Step 8: Make 3 wraps of the hackle, making sure it is distributed equally around the fly.


Step 9: Whip finish and cut off.


Finished Fly: 



No comments:

Post a Comment